Thursday, December 28, 2006

a top ten


Richard Speer already has out his Top Ten of 2006. The Best Painting show is a tie between my last show at Augen and Omar Chacon at Motel.

There’s a lot I could observe about Richard Speer but one of the most obvious is his willingness to look at art anywhere. He’s not too self-conscious about placing himself in the ‘right place’ via his writing. I seem to remember Jeff Jahn complaining that Speer often found art worth writing about in some kitschy places, but that’s almost like the pot calling the kettle black, because Jeff can find treasure pasted to a telephone pole (highly commendable). Both of them have introduced me to artists I would have never heard of otherwise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

halleluyah...praise the eva!!! i will bookmark this blog and obsessively check it thrice a day, if not more.

you've inspired me to look inward, outward, sideways and upside down. thank you for all that you do, and all that is to come..

-baby smith

Howard Penning said...

Hey Eva! Just wanted to say that I'm a big fan and that I'm looking forward to your new blog format. I'm sure it'll be a hit.