Friday, January 26, 2007

collection (Bernd Naber)


I was introduced to Bernd Naber sometime in 1988 by a man who worked for Turske and Turske in Zurich. Bernd seemed like the epitome of a German artist – cool and eccentric and not too much of a mensch.



He was nice and we met on several occasions. I made a whole series of photographs which vaguely document his installation which Roberta Smith reviewed in ’89.



We have some art interests in common. I especially loved his ragged squares that he made and he was kind enough to give me one. Bernd is also known for the monochrome.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Great pic of him in the sunglasses!

Richard said...

Also I like the fact that you say he's "not too much of a mensch" but is "cool and eccentric." Artists should be at least a little bit cool and eccentric. Leave it to other professions to be mensches.