Tuesday, January 16, 2007

the creative class



You know something that bugs me? The quote unquote Creative Class. I remember an artist telling me once on Artstar that: “Those people are in competition with me like an arch enemy.” I think I know what he means.

It’s not just the fact that their design studios are quickly replacing our art studios, since they are gainfully employed in such a manner that helps raise our rents as they eye the real estate we pioneered. It’s the whole notion that they are even ‘creative.’ Yeah, let me put quotations around that.

They’ve told me before that my old diary, while interesting, was in need of a redesign because of the readability factor. Their sites are often in the grey on white regalia so often used that it does not even register. I'm asleep already. If this was a tax form, I could understand it, but please don’t tell me that the site of an artist is merely there for ‘information.’

It makes sense to cling to the quiet if your art (or your life) is. But if it isn’t, it makes no sense at all.

Thanks for the facts and figures, but I cannot also say thanks for the memories. The best art gives experience, not necessarily an easy read. Can we have some creativity from the Creative Class?

2 comments:

C said...

If what you mean by "creative class" is the $200,000 senior designer at Ziba who drives a Saab, lives in Irvington, eats at ClarkLewis, and reads about Disjecta in the Mercury while waiting for her kids to get done with Chinese lessons, then probably no, you can't expect creativity. That person's professional purpose is to recreate the familiar, to reposition pointless products, to consume and demand and consume and demand.

Gosh I don't want their creativity - it's actually a sort of poison, I think, which is migrating into some toady art galleries as the richer and more egomaniacal of these folk find "making art" an extension of their dilettante nature. Their work is cynical and foreshortened and fussy and discouraging.

As independent critics of art, this migration is an important event to announce, explain, and put in its right place. That’s our task. (So – how many independent art crits are active in Portland…) They might feel like an “arch enemy” because their innate ability for self-promotion sells their stuff to plebs. But art-buying plebs either wise up quick, get an honest helper to find real art, or quit buying, so marketing to them is short-sighted. If your pal meant “arch enemy” in the sense of discouraging plebs from having a positive art experience which cultivates a collector, perhaps she was right.

nod said...

We are all competing for a space to breath... and the air we breath...existence... and I'm convinced we are all creative in the manor in which we exist... selling ass, art, or selling god on the street corner... intentionally or not... creativity is unavoidable... a "creative class"… I'll put that in quotes... wasn't that lunch period?
To find someone as your enemy… seems like a creative choice… I’ve spent the later part of my life creatively trying to avoid… and I know I must thank my more creative friends in life for a pallet to work with… so once again Eva I say thanks and cheers