Tuesday, January 9, 2007

the hand of the artist


While looking through my box of paints, I realized what an attachment I had formed with them: just the reality of color, looking at it, mixing it, spreading it around. Many times I defended a result-driven stance, but without the process, how interested would I be in the results?

A conversation with Wid Chambers led me back to the subject matter of just making things, as he confessed to me that he had missed that while doing his digital works. The hand of the artist was a bit absent from a process which takes a click of a mouse and the resources of a master digital printer. Lately he's been making sculpture as way to return to a more hands-on activity.

It is when people assumed that I too made a digital art that I saw how basic and old-fashioned my studio practice actually was. Unlike Jim Riswold, for example, I do not employ a team to make my product (though we obviously both like red and green...). There's just me laying down fingerprints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

indeed, your paintings have a very 'air brushed' quality, until you see them up close and notice the human markings and imperfections shine through.

i wonder if this was ever a compliment to you, that your work looked 'flawless' upon first viewing? or, rather a frustration, that people aren't interpreting it correctly?

-baby smith

Anonymous said...

To me it is not a matter of 'interpretation' but of fact. Paint is not just a process but a beautiful fact.
eva