Tuesday, February 13, 2007

composition


In my last post about my own painting, I talked about color but not about form. Well, here is where the formula for adventure slowly changes. Color dominates, pumps and charges the consistent form, to give me personally more pleasure and to drive home an infinite prospect.

In the beginning and in the end, I knew the same thing: the union of the line provided the horizon. The more I painted this in multiple, the more I saw the singular within. I saw where the power resided – and that’s really how the Richter Scale began – just an extension of that place of unity, where it all comes down.

5 comments:

Richard said...

Eva, is this one painting on one canvas, or is this two paintings shown flush?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eva Lake said...

It is actually two seperate paintings. But they were made back to back, a kind of dark winter mood, so they seemed right placed side by side. The piece on the right also has a glowing yellow inner band not prominent in the file here.

Richard said...

Ah, I see. Well, they work really well together. Have you thought about doing this sort of complementary color scheme on the same canvas?

Anonymous said...

I think it would take alot of maneuvering to get that all into one canvas. But if the paintings were bigger (and I would like to make them bigger), then I think it's possible. The actual bands of color would go through more transformations.
Eva