Thursday, March 8, 2007

the Anti-Nazi League Rally in 1978


In 1978 I participated in an event which I’ll never forget. As I researched it a bit online, I saw that I was not the only one. The Tom Robinson Band and the Love Music Hate Racism site have recounts of this rally organized by Rock Against Racism and the Anti-Nazi League. I still have all kinds of paper materials from this time.

It was about a six mile walk from the center of town through the east end. I recall it was pretty nice spring day and much of this parade was made of punks. A lot of people jeered at us from the sidewalks I am sorry to say – not for our beliefs, I imagine, but for how we looked. But the pics from this site give you an idea of the spirit of the times and how much fun we had anyway!

We were rewarded at the end of the haul with one of the best concerts I’ve ever heard – imagine – the Clash, X-Ray Spex, Sham 69, TRB and Steel Pulse. The music provided a total mix, as Sham were known as Skinheads, Tom Robinson was gay, Steel Pulse was Reggae and you know the rest. I remember when the Clash came on we were screaming like crazy and the guys in front of us were saying it was like Beatlemania all over again.

Well, not quite! - for these ‘stars’ were still our peers at this time. I used to see Poly Styrene around my neighborhood, always nice. Same with Paul Simonon, a hottie who is a visual artist now.



1 comment:

TJ said...

'Germ-Free Adolescents' is one of my favorite records of all time...I just bought my 3rd copy (w/lots of extras). I love 'I'm A Cliche' and of course, "Oh Bondage....You know, Eva, your musings on the era brings a lot back for me. I was part of a 'Rock Against Sexism' splinter group in New England sometime in the early 80s - when the hair (hee) was much wilder, and people carried Ten-X in their back pocket!