Saturday, March 17, 2007

collection (Rotella poster)


I've got this version of Mimmo Rotella’s Marilyn in the kitchen; with a vertical border graphic stating this piece was shown in the Gallery Yves Arman,probably dating from the early 70s. I found it on Ninth Avenue in NYC hawked by a street vendor for 10 bucks, already framed. It is only a reproduction of the piece, but the gallery was very reputable - and like my postcard and poster collection and so many other things --- cherish the paper!

Marilyn is of course sort of hawked herself by so many artists – Rotella is only one of many and he went into overkill in his later years. I love all of the work by the "Nouveaux Realists" though - like Mimmo Rotella - and especially love exhibitions based on street art and the poster (his site takes some navigating but is well worth the hunt if you love collage. He is a master).

I recall an Artnews several years ago which was an entire issue devoted to Marilyn in Art. I've also got an art book of the same title, years old.

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and 50 cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the 50 cents."---MM

She worked the camera best. It's interesting how painted portraits of her are not nearly so successful and in fact are sort of a let down.

No comments: