Monday, April 9, 2007

conduct

Brad Stone of the New York Times has made a call for civility on the Internet, asking for a code of conduct. Some think it’s coming too late but others are saying that things like libel - are libel, and that it is never too late for some manners. You can find more information on this code in Wikia and Tim O’Reilly’s Radar.

The Style section of the Times on Sunday had what I consider a related piece - The Rise of the Takedown. This article considers how Internet bitching is a form of heckling and that heckling is on the rise – in all places. It is the heckler’s hour. Everyone has a voice and everyone is a star – therefore no one is above aggression. And sometimes the aggression is the point of it all.

I agree that there seems to be a certain anonymity when you write online, even if your name is attached. People write things they will not actually say. I’ve even heard of ingratiating meetings at openings, with all kinds of oozing warmth thrown about and plenty of time to do it in, all of it to result later in a really negative response to the show online. The negative response doesn’t alarm me so much as the almost (or outright?) calculation of it.

... But then, who actually talks about the work at an opening, right? The second code of ethics is “We won’t say anything online that we wouldn’t say in person.” That’s a tough bill to fill!

Code number five asks for no anonymous notes. The only reason I wanted anonymous notes here is just because it’s easier than signing in sometimes and I would never change that unless I absolutely had to. People should own their words but sometimes you just want to talk. For the most part, I understand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a fascinating subject..

i equate bitchiness online to road rage...it's so much easier to flare up when you're not face to face and in public view (AND anonymous)

i do believe the moderater, or blogger, should have full license to delete offensive entries....free speach, or not, it's THEiR blog.

have you ever deleted comments? just curious..

-baby

Anonymous said...

I guess this blog is too young to have anything deleted!

BUT.. in the course of my diary at Lovelake, which is older, I received a load of weird emails over time. Often the content was definitely not what they would share with the world or claim - very personal and particular - and some were anonymous.

Eva

Ray Solar said...

I am for an open mike situation
tell it as you feel it
life as it is has already to many restrictions
I find people hardly comunicate in person any more everybody acts like a persona

I don't want to insult people on the internet but if you have a blog and you offer a comment section you should be prepared to handle what comes your way

but that"s just my opinion
and thanks for giving me a platform to express itinclusive the bad spelling and lousy grammar

thanks

Richard

here is a comment I posted at TJ blog about my impression of the NAUU show
tell me if that"s already bad manners

heArt blog1

I dropped by at the opening
I felt like I was the invisible others
there was certain boredom in the air
and lots of smokers lingered outside the tight space
creating visible flares that moved into timeless abstraction
I think I saw a fly in a spider web fighting for its life
above the cooler with the blue ribboned beer
the chocolates were delicate in an invisible hasty way
the bleached walls got lost in-between the space
I wouldn't call it Art that hung there
trying to penetrate my vision
but expressions of children who try
to please
even the war imagery
seemed pleasing in slow motions
I spoke to somebody I used to know
but they had changed into
the unrecognizable other
I left with a feeling of plainness
and not belonging to this sphere
where one is so easily satisfied
with mediocre posturing
and now after a few days
I can’t remember if this display had any purpose
or if it changed any equation
Whatsoever
I guess the meaning can be found
only in the invisible realm
as time lapses one more time
to give me another opportunity
to consider my judgments

Anonymous said...

I don't think your poem is bad manners. Can you have 'bad manners' in a poem?

But this is about how you felt at an opening - yes, Ray? I can't tell you how often I felt invisible at an opening. And if not that, then for sale. In fact the only way I could turn around those feelings was to make my own space.

This in turn created a situation where I wanted to go back to feeling invisible in some way!

As to comments in blogs, people can say what they want for the most part - but we should not forget that there is a human being behind the desktop.

E