Friday, April 27, 2007

Not a pity party, just an observation

One month ago I played my last show on KPSU. It was the most anticlimactic show, leaving as quietly as my very first came (in which Tom Cramer and I rambled on so much that someone called up and asked: “Just what kind of show is this?”). The last show revealed how ready I was to leave and how ready the world was too. Most of Artstar must have been driven by our desperation for any kind of art coverage and most importantly, the power and popularity of various guests.

I played music in the cold sub-basement a final time. Even my fellow DJs, passing through, had forgotten I was leaving. I played the entire Pink Flag by Wire, which has plenty of unplayable violations. But no one cared since no one listened. I never even told anyone about the anticlimactic final day, but it surely served some kind of purpose.

It’s hard to count too much on things, so I am trying not to. But then again, I always liked Mark Twain’s: “Put all your apples into one basket and then watch that basket.”

6 comments:

Howard said...

I heard your last show Eva! I usually put them on in the morning while I'm working. It's nice to listin to art talk while working. Didin't know about the phone in thing till it was too late.

Can't wait to hear your new project!

Anonymous said...

In the words of the immortal Joni Mitchell. "You don't really know what you've got until it's gone."

harold hollingsworth said...

Is there an archive of your show, or shows still? I'd so enjoy hearing a few of them, even though I'm super late to the party!

harold hollingsworth said...

wait, I think I found it, you played X - The World's a Mess, It's In My Kiss? Love X, Wire, Killing Joke, and on and on!

Anonymous said...

I think you may be listening to whoever took over my timeslot. (Although I have played Killing Joke and Wire...) There are a few interviews on the permnanent archives at KPSU for "art talk." Jim Demetre also has his interview about Artdish on his site and a few other artists have them on their sites.

E

Anonymous said...

I have heard a lot of great ArtStar shows over the years!
I hope they are or will be available as downloads, as some I would love to hear again and others that I missed and would like to check out.