Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Art People

In 2002, when I started talking to artists at KPSU, there was such a need for any kind of art coverage. There weren’t so many blogs back then or the profusion of voices we have now.

At the time my big concern was the artist, front and center. I felt they did not have a lot of power (that hasn’t really changed either!). Pals told me that they were not very empowered in our how their art life played out.

An artist quipped one day: “I’m at the bottom of the food chain.” I was a little taken back at the brutal claim (and it turns out she was talking about her medium, not just being an artist, so there’s a hierarchy even within the visual arts). She was making all this work and did not know how the hell to get it out there - so I was like: “Let’s hear what the artist has to say!”

Five years passed and while doing that show, I worked at exhibition spaces, getting a crash course on what other people in the art world were doing (the gallerist, the curator, the writer, etc.). Being on the other side of the desk let me see and value what these people were doing. It was almost weird to see myself become an advocate for the gallerist, as opposed to the artist, but let’s just say that advocacy grew as I understood how the art object made its way to us.

Many of these art people do not make much (or any) money for what they do and what they do, basically, is help facilitate the works and dreams of others. This is not to say that the job needs no sense of self however!

Julie Bernard at KBOO handled her show like this from the start – she was always as interested in the director of a museum as much as an artist. It took me years to see that she was right.

6 comments:

C said...

Fantastic. You bounce, but you bounce a little higher each time.

Why did you decide to go audio and not video? Technology? There is so much to see!

Speaking of being ahead of one's time, see The Saints from 1974 at http://bedazzled.blogs.com/bedazzled/2007/05/im_stranded_the.html

heArtblog said...

Hi Eva
I wish you the best
and I am looking forward to your radio show
I hope you know how appriciated you are
both as an artist and a human

Richard Schemmerer

Eva said...

I agree about the visual aspect.

Over a year ago, I was talking to a videographer about TV and he said: "Forget it, it will all be on the Internet soon."

This was right before I heard of ... Youtube...

I still think that would be a great way to go and someone should do it. Even if they are just 3 - 5 minute captures of artists...

Thanks so much for support.

heArtblog said...

I would be interested doing something
like that ( I mean Video )
maybe just as a project to document some of the amazing poeple you had on your previous show
how about another one like the great Pow Wow we had at Blue Hour

Thursdays are good for me

SITAC
(still in the Art closet)

spankeysart.blogspot.com

C said...

Hmm. With other personas & projects I've been YouTube - actually Google Video - a lot. It's infinitely weird and wonderful, but to maintain a viewer's attention the video needs to be short - like under 3 minutes fifty. We maintain our proportional lack of attention.

It could be fun. I would help too.

Anonymous said...

Because of the shortness, one could even be more creative. No one is going to think that 3 minutes would be the definitive interview. It might be just about one painting or one piece of a work, or a curator's view of a show they're putting together. Studio visits. Debates. Parties!

The possibilities are endless.

E