Thursday, July 12, 2007

then it hit me



I enjoyed:
This post and conversation at the Slog.
The site with more information.

The comments following the post talked about waking up one day when you are 25 and realizing: This is life, I’m not famous, I have to have a real job and it sucks. Or something like that. That’s what the poster meant to them.

I’m not sure what all it means to me, save, first of all, that the photograph of Marilyn does not exactly forward the fabulousness of fame. In her case, she might be thinking: And then it hit me. Being famous sucks.

Then I started thinking about what it means to invent our life and just how possible is it to do it after, say, the age of 25. If we can think outside certain formulas, I think a lot is possible. Artists, however they get to stay one - are not just squeezing, inching out “something that interests them.” They stake their lives on it. That’s why they’re so crazy. I see it all the time.

6 comments:

m. said...

"If we can think outside certain formulas, I think a lot is possible." - eva

d*mn straight!!

Steven LaRose said...

Who're you calling crazy?
. . .

danonymous said...

About re-inventing....I've gotten into the habit a few years ago of answering a lot of my personal "rhetorical" questions. INstead of just hearing an old tape going on in my head, I have to come up with an answer and not one i've had before. It makes my life a bit difficult at times but the answers keep forcing me onto new paths....and with artwork....wow.....what a challenge of delight and frustration. It then just keeps being a voyage of exploration.

Anonymous said...

I liked this last note...

Recently someone told me that after awhile in your local sphere, people have sort of made up their minds about you. Maybe you have also made up your mind about you. It can then be alot of fun to find out that they were not completely correct (and neither were you). There can still be surprises.

danonymous said...

Anonymous, about 12 years ago I ran across a Benjamin Franklin quote that was like a wake-up slap.....he said...
"Most people die at the age of 25....and wait 40 years to get buried." That was about 250 years ago.

Sildenafil said...

That's a reality because sometimes the price of fame can sucks because artists have a very hard life although they have a lot of possessions it would be so hard.