Monday, August 6, 2007

where is she?

Since my last post I have been researching chick lit art genre, for a friend told me that the tale has been told and in fact, many times.

For instance, even in the Times today is a review of a story of a dead male artist and what biographers have to go through to get the scoop. Many female ex-lovers are not being very cooperative with giving a respectful account!

There is also the story of a young woman who meets an Irish painter on the verge of superstardom. There’s the story of a hapless gallerina, assigned to take care of an re-imagined Andy Warhol – save, get this – he’s straight. There’s the story of another hapless gallerina, a going-nowhere-fast-aspiring-artist, who finds herself in the middle of a bidding war over – guess what? Another dead male artist’s work.

Phew! Where is the story of the woman artist?

(And let's have her on the verge of superstardom and bidding wars, while we're at it.)

6 comments:

m. said...

i'm not a big pubs house marketer, but from a practical standpoint, i don't see how this subject could have already been bankrupted as it's only just barely entered art history relative to pre-1970s art history...from a selling standpoint it's probably just about the angle and how well it matches up with the zeitgeist...telling this story 'many times' doesn't cut it in my book...when we get up to maybe, a thousand times we will begin to see the scales inching towards a balance, non...?

Eva said...

I was willing to believe that I didn't know what was going on in the chick lit market and that therefore the story had been told.....

But what I see is the girl-behind-the-desk story, the supporting roles. And while it is true that women play those roles, there were women artists working and they have some funny and very unique stories.

One reason I think it may be time for such a book is because that particular identity is on the radar - in exhibitions and in art writing and in blogs. It's like many people are independantly writing bits and pieces of the story already.

m. said...

if i had a package of pink peeps for everything somebody (or even a bevy of somebodies) told me wasn't the right thing to do that i knew was the right thing to do in my gut, and therefore went ahead and did it anyway and it turned out to be one of the best things i ever did, well, i would have rooms and rooms full of pink peeps to play with if the mood ever struck me to play with pink peeps.

on the other hand, people who help me say no in concert with myself are priceless; they help keep me centered, real, and (as far as possible) out of too much trouble.

in the end, i say, as usual, trust your gut. if it says yes without reservation, who's to say otherwise...?

Eva said...

Well, I am plugging away at this point, but I cannot say that it is without reservation (in my gut). But if I just write for my eyes alone for awhile, no harm in that....

Jenevive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenevive said...

It is a little bit older, and not quite in the chick-lit genre, but are you familiar with Margaret Atwood's "Cate's Eye?" It is about a lot of things, but the main character is a feminist artist who is returning to her hometown for a retrospective of her work.

Just finished Lulu...