Thursday, November 1, 2007

the invalid voice

I fantasize about going to NYC at the last minute to see the Blogger Show. Maybe it is no big deal but some of life’s more interesting exploits hinged on what was initially no big deal. I hear the rumble.

As someone who saw a lot of work alone, without input or fanfare, I have mixed feelings about all art opinion and art writing. Art Forum didn't necessarily make me feel a part of anything and the same goes for art blogs.

I suspect many artists feel the same, including most of the artists who write one.

The very thing so many detest about blogs – that they are an “invalid” voice – is exactly what I like about them. A huge measure of human touch and all the vulnerabilities that go along with it, warts and all - the best art critics have that going for them too.

8 comments:

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
If there is any way you could just POP into the "Blogger Show", I think you should. I am so jealous. I wish I was in that show. I am not. Oh well. However, you are and I think you should go! It would take an awful lot to get me to move from this chair I am sitting on here in Florida. If I were in that show, I would GO! I think you should DO IT!!!!!!!!
:-)
wizzlewolf

Anonymous said...

Oh Sheree, I want to. It has the potential to be a very interesting affair. But it is 3000 miles away....


E

Michael said...

I'm in that show with you and have been wondering what to say about all of this that is something other than a snow job.

I think you said what I was thinking (and what you said) very well.

MKL

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michael.

Of course what I wrote seems the tip of the iceberg, but so much was said already... and I wondered, often, to what purpose...

E

S.L. Butler said...

Eva,

Maybe the West Coast bloggers could host a West Coast incarnation of the show and we could all come to you...? I know John would love to see it travel...

Have you read Chris'
post on hanging the show?

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon!

Do you really think the east would come to the west for a blogger show? I do not know if there is even an artist from California in the mix.

Eva

S.L. Butler said...

Hmm...

Looking more carefully at the list, it seems you're right. You and Steve are the only bloggers from way out west. I like a Bloggers of the Wild West idea though. Also, if you can get to to Art Basel Miami Beach in December, Joanne Mattera and I are organizing a blogger party down there: Art Blogger Miami. Watch our blogs for more details.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Now that really sound like fun. But I am having a solo show in December here. I'll live vicariously through your writing...

E