Tuesday, January 8, 2008

spaceheater

A pal responded to my in Denial post by referring me to a review which not only posts a photograph of the woman artist, but notes beneath the photo that her studio has no heat and the roof also leaks. Yikes!

We laughed for many reasons - the first being that our studios don’t have heat either. But newsflash: s p a c e h e a t e r s work just fine. You really don’t have to suffer so much. It’s hard enough sometimes.

But then we figured…wait… she probably does have a fucking space-heater. The critic just didn’t want to see it. The romance of the freezing female artist makes better copy. Add the leaky roof and it’s practically orgasmic.

Somehow this all reminds me of when I played music at KPSU for an hour before my artist would arrive for Artstar Radio. One time I did two hours of disco… something I did not listen to much of my life, certainly not in the 70s, but someone gave me the music and it was totally addictive and oh well...

The artist arrives and you could tell she was clearly put out that I was playing loud disco. I'm not going to quote her but I was flip, that was the gist of it and my facepaint probably didn't help. She went into the interview accordingly. Maybe I said “I don’t usually play disco” - but I didn’t usually play anything; the show had no particular theme and was in fact called No Agenda.

Anyway, having fun was not an option to establishing any of kind of serious commitment, which was a paramount goal. - Someone actually emailed me about the interview: they heard the dis. It’s dangerous to head-trip while you’re on the radio and I went through the motions… and you can never really be certain. We all have our stuff. Still, I wonder if that it was due to the disco, which, you know, isn’t that much about serious suffering. (Neither is the red lipstick, but that’s a topic for another post.)

The woman is indeed not only a serious artist, but one who, in most people's books, has made it. And at least ten years older than me, she made it in even more of a man's world, and carved out her own. Whatever dissing I felt, I had to let it go, because I've probably had some easier times, but I still saw myself in her.

11 comments:

julie said...

Speaking of space heaters, I have this loft that I am able to use seasonally as a huge art studio. It is on the second floor in a 150-year old brick building with no insulation. I acquired it in June of '05, spent the summer in a swoon and did more art than I ever did...The days were insanely hot, and I could barely endure the evenings I spent up there for the oppressive heat got crazy. Soon fall came, and then the temp got so cold in there that I think it was warmer outside in the snow. I ended up moving my things to the home studio and that's where I have been ever since.
Just today I went up there to grab some things, I love it up there. The smell. The open feeling--it was a dance studio and it is completely open with wooden floors and wall length windows. Sigh. I am entertaining the idea of opening it on Saturdays only, thru the summer, as an open art studio, perhaps to sell some work>gain conversation and art friends. It's still just a thought, but it could turn to reality easy enough.
Unfortunately, as cold as it was up there today, I doubt even a space heater could help!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie, that space sounds wonderful. Old dance studio... I've danced in a few... are there walls? Sometimes those places are all mirrors... if there are walls, it might make a great exhibition space. Or performance space! Sounds like a good deal.
E

m. said...

let's hear it for the red lipstick post!!!!!!!!!!!

julie said...

here's a link to view some pix of the art/dance studio...

http://flickr.com/photos/20193861@N00/sets/72057594143091110/

wish you could visit!

amy smith garofano said...

this is a gem of a post... like m., i look forward to further thoughts on red lipstick.

Carolyn said...

Sigh, I miss Artstar. I forgot to tell you Eva, when I was out in looking at art last week, I knew the artist at G.Gibson gallery, Ron van Dongen thanks to hearing your interview with him awhile back...I appreciated his work better as well after hearing him discuss it with you. His colorful photos of flowers were appreciated by this one during this rain laden season.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if anyone ever told louise nevelson that no one would take her seriously if she continued to were false eyelashes??
L.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Carolyn, thanks. Yes, well, I liked Ron a lot. Both him and his work. And his books are gorgeous! Hey, you're a gardener too, so you must have liked that aspect of the interview too...

As to Nevelson, L., I think she rode both sides of that fence. She made herself into a star in one way, but yes, I think people didn't take her seriously because she was the object to be discussed.
E

Calvin Ross Carl said...

The romanticism of the artist still boggles my mind. Nothing about it feels very romantic to me. I am poor as fuck, eat too much Top Ramen, and stressed that life never allows enough time for what I wish to focus on. I guess this could appear romantic from a third-person view, but in first-person, it simply sucks. And "sucks" is the most fitting word to describe it.

Anonymous said...

Hey CRC,
I don't know if the making of art is romantic... maybe it's the looking at it... something about a trip to the Met or the Palace of Legion of Honor in SF, that's romantic.

But being a poor artist, no. Funny, too, how many people want you to carry on with art, in some ways maybe living vicariously through you, without having a clue just what that means.
I had a friend who always cheerleaded me about it - saw it as a necessity.... but then shuddered when I recently told her I was now broke and would have to do a road trip on the cheap. She was like "Oooo I don't like being poor." That was something she had to do when she first got married and was just starting out, but how could I be broke and 50? Well duh.
E

Calvin Ross Carl said...

Viewing art is certainly romantic to me. And I am starting to believe art-making is possibly the worst addiction to have... but it feels so good. :)