Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Art Talk AM on the Radio

As regards art radio, there’s a new sheriff in town. Cyrus Smith is hosting a weekly broadcast in conjunction with the Portland State University MFA Monday Night Lecture Series. Visiting artists are interviewed live on the air the day of their lecture. Here he is above, masterfully controlling the sound board.

But when school is out, the choice of guests is up to Cyrus and yesterday he had me on the air. It was fun to be back down in that dark sub-basement broadcast booth. And obviously it was missed because I mercilessly talked a mile a minute. We must have covered just about everything. Thanks Cyrus!

4 comments:

Manuel Pereira da Silva said...

Excellent Blog...glad I found a new source for checking out what's new and hot in the Arts...Thanks for writing good content!!!

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
I am so glad you made that comment on the radio show about money not being the issue. Even if you don't get paid for some things "the power is still there"!
This was such a strong statement to me and gave me comfort. Just yesterday, Art Calendar magazine sent out a survey. Many of the questions had to do with art SALES. Well......I don't sell much art. In fact, if I lived off what I make with my art, I would be homeless. This is why I teach. It takes the pressure off. Yet, even though I know I am an artist. I know what I have done. I know what I am going to do; do you know I felt SHAME while completely that survey. For some reason, I felt dirty after I submitted it.
Hearing your radio interview reminded me there are people in the world who "get it".
Thank you!
Sheree

Sheree Rensel said...

P.S. That was a great interview. I listened to it two times!!! Very interesting and thoughtful. Another thing you said that made me laugh and think is when you mentioned going back to your "Target" works of the 80's.
I was just making notes about going back and revisiting some my very early work. It is as if I left the series unresolved.
This is just one more thing that is cool about living a long art life. We have our own personal archives from which to draw inspiration.
Thanks for sharing the interview!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Sheree,

Glad you liked. It is actually hard to listen to it. And you shouldn't feel bad about teaching. That's a good thing. At least you are not selling shoes!
Eva