Monday, November 10, 2008

Minus Space

Douglas Melini, Endlessly, 2008

I believe it was through the blog of Joanne Mattera that I found out about Minus Space. They have a project space in Brooklyn and a kickass website. And then recently James Kalm posted a great video of a visit to an exhibition Minus Space curated for PS1.

Get to the end of the video where Matthew Deleget (one of the founders) talks about the goals of Minus Space and why there was a need for it. They show and share work from all over the world. Some think of reductive work, minimalist and colorfield work, pattern and abstraction as some kind of one-note wonder which hit its stride in the 60s and had no more to say. The curator insists that new kinds of work are being made now all of the time by all ages in all kinds of mediums and in ways that we haven't seen before. I absolutely agree and am excited about the project.

3 comments:

Calvin Ross Carl said...

I can't even tell you how much I love Minus Space.

Anyone that thinks reductive work, minimalist and colorfield work has nothing more to say, is probably the same person that says painting is dead. So screw them. :)

amysmithgarofano said...

WOW Eva! I love the new painting on your homepage. BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! It is actually an older piece but I'm putting it up there because I'm about to start another yellow monochrome.... trying to create the sun in a basement in the middle of winter....

Eva