Tuesday, February 17, 2009

the makeup artist

Lately I have been doing a little makeup as way to make ends meet. It had been years and there are a few things I forgot about it.

- Your responsibilities are smaller but more personal. You’re not going to turn their career around -it’s just makeup. They come and they go. Still, be that as it may, you just might make someone more beautiful than they have ever been - and yeah, that’s a rush.

It’s also a fabulous brain-wash. By the end of the day I had served so many people, heard bits and pieces of their lives and expectations and after it all, my brain was empty. All my own inner noise and senseless chatter was gone. Instead I carried in the brain this big, splashy imprint of color - namely hot pink, aqua and dark, sparkly blue. After a more internal art life, I was almost numb, stunned at the end of the day, but stunned in a good way.

But here’s an obvious difference to the art world and it’s one I forgot about: people would come up to me and say: “I hear you’re an artist,” as if artists were high on the food chain. I had forgotten about that world which treasures artists and thinks they’re really special. And let’s face it, it can feel like the opposite in the art world, even though without the product of the artist, no one would have a career. Some faces fall when you tell them "I'm an artist." Like they already know too many! Or perhaps they think you want something out of them - and so often, damnit, they are right.

4 comments:

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
There are people who think artists are special and high on the food chain? Where do they live? I want to be their neighbor! LOL LOL LOL

Richard Schemmerer said...

"Artist" mystical figure
like big foot
when they see one they are in awe because everybody knows we are close to extinction
just kidding

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
This is too funny. After posting that smart ass comment yesterday, I realized I was being smug. I know what you mean about some people and their perception of artists.
So today, I had to take my dog to the vet. I was wearing my "The person wearing this sweatshirt is an ARTIST" shirt. The vet tech called me and my Gizmo into the examination room. She looked at me and said "You are an ARTIST? I wish I was an artist!". I just laughed. I sat there and told her what I do and about the shows I am in right now. She was a captive audience. I could tell she was thinking "She is so lucky." At that moment, I felt lucky too. :-)

Anonymous said...

That last story Sheree is just what I mean. If you just move in the art world, you forget how the rest of the world regards an artist. It can be just like what Richard said - thought of as a mystical figure.

Eva