Thursday, February 5, 2009

paint and lipstick



My mom had a gallery with 3 other women in the 60s in Jacksonville, Oregon. At the same time she was an Avon lady, someone who bleached her hair and wore white Go-Go boots. I was certainly shaped by all this paint and color and "glamour." Lipstick and paint were interchangeable. She had boxes of lipstick samples all over the house and I probably had more access to them than her paints.

Still, I painted too – all the kids of these women had their own little gallery, a sealed off winding staircase to the roof in this landmark Victorian. Since it was indeed the 60s, we painted on wood with psychedelic fluorescent paint and the staircase was only lit with a black light.

It affected my color sense forever. Nothing is really too bright for me or too eye-scorching. In some ways, these targets which had color – this bright orange and the cerulean blue – well, the color element was really fulfilling. They demanded certain strengths of whatever I used with them; it had to stand up to it. I was freed of the usual constraints of sepia and black and white media and old photography. Not that I felt bound, I guess, but you consider all of those things of course.

3 comments:

amysmithgarofano said...

Congrats Eva! The show looks great. Glad to see that your targets found a venue...

-carywd said...

looks great! i'll take eunice out next week to see it

Anonymous said...

let me know how she likes it.

E