Sunday, March 8, 2009

Alicia McDaid on KBOO

Listen to the interview here.

Last night was the reception for Alicia McDaid's show at the MK Gallery, Pain is Fear Leaving Your Body. The title reminds me of some new age slogan for those dealing with chronic pain, but the show itself is a fun play on comedic identity with a little sleaze and fantasy, and is intimately poignant. On the video the artist dances in various sporty-spandex outfits to the soundtrack from Cabaret. I couldn't help but be struck at how she is mining some of the same territory I am in my current body of work, but through different generational eyes and mediums. I loved her face paint, her freedom with her fantasies and her staking the claim that it's all Art.

The artist is also my guest this week on KBOO! Please remember that our new timeslot is Tuesdays at 11:30AM. But if you miss it, interviews are now uploaded on our website.

No comments: