Wednesday, May 6, 2009

more women and Molly Haskell

I know exactly what I want to paint right now. But I cannot do it. So I montage quite a bit. Above you see another LT. It’s the combination of Los Angeles transforming into a track housing grid with the actress emerging into color from black and white. This is the biggest piece I’ve made yet in this series, almost 18 inches square.

You may think I have some fascination for Liza but I do not. I just have a very extravagant Life spread from when Cabaret came out, that’s all. The center target is from the 2nd piece I made in this series over a year ago. It was never right, so I yanked her out and placed her with torch songs from the Middle Ages.

"I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin." – So said Oscar Levant about the star. Her success shoved her into the role and I think her time with Hitchcock showed how much she was capable of. I made this collage right around the time I came across Molly Haskell’s great essay on Doris written in the 70s. By the end of the 60s, Day’s whole virgin schikt was stupidly tiresome but Haskell has some very smart things to say about her. Right now I’m reading her new book Frankly, My Dear. Just as she did with Day, she’s giving Scarlett a whole new attitude.

2 comments:

CAP said...

Imagining these as paintings, I come up with something close to the work of English painter Peter Blake.

He's also an inspired collagist - which makes me think you probably love The Sergent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover - no?

Eva said...

CAP, you are so on the money. I'd like to share my montages with him for sure. I think he would like them and you know he's written about collage - the work of other artists.