Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wid Chambers works the room


The first time I saw the work of Wid Chambers, it was at Gavin Shettler's gallery at the Everett Station Lofts. That was eight years ago. That night he called me on the phone and we talked a long time. He was then a guest on Artstar Radio at KPSU ... that was the beginning of many collaborative efforts.

He always had a thing for the organic and every shape he made had a certain grace. It was his trademark then and it still is, even though he's covered a lot of territory as regards materials and mediums. I knew he has painted but he was looking for something beyond the practice of painting.
All of these photographs I took today at Chambers, where he has taken over the entire space. As I recall, it started off as just one wall with a maquette on the other side, but now he's working the entire room (as his promotional materials promised).



When I first met him, he made digital paintings (one of his images I curated into the Tri-Met public art project here on N. Interstate). They had the same sweeping, swooping curves these big sculptural pieces have here. It's interesting to see how he has maintained, mined and translated his ideas.


In June he'll be my guest on KBOO. I'm looking forward to the conversation.








3 comments:

Matthew Haggett said...

Very cool. I didn't know you two met @ Gavin's old gallery. That was only 8 years ago? Wow.

Eva said...

I know, can you believe it? How the time passes. That for me was the golden era of the Everett Station Lofts - Gavin Shettler, Sound Vision and Zeitgeist....

namastenancy said...

This work looks gorgeous - too bad I can't come to Portland to see it in person but you certainly did a beautiful write up