Sunday, August 15, 2010

Julie Perini on KBOO

Listen to the interview here.

I first encountered Julie Perini’s videos at PSU, where she was curated into a show by Patrick Rock. In the video, I recall nothing but clips of films with the charatcter’s name Julie. That word was all we heard, over and over again. I recall that one of the films was with Doris Day. I loved that video.

Right now she has a project up at Pushdot, Girl Next Door. She calls it “A video experiment with fact and fiction that creates a portrait of everyday life in a North Portland neighborhood.” She combined six interviews - two with actual neighbors, two with non-actors with similar life circumstances and two actors who stand in for the neighbors. This is all combined with material shot around the neighborhood and creates a spectrum of authenticity. Perini is my guest this coming Tuesday on Art Focus.

No comments: