Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thunderbitch


Some who collage made posters and fanzines first and then later, it all developed into “fine art.” I didn’t really take this road as I had collaged in high school, already aware of Pop Art. Then I saw Dada and Surrealism Reviewed at the Hayward Gallery in 1978 and that kind of sealed the deal… I still have postcards from that fateful exhibition.

When I got back to the States later that year, I made my first fanzine, Beyond the Black Thing (cover above). Actually it wasn’t called a fanzine, I called it an art magazine. The word fanzine was used but it was mostly for works like Punk and Sniffin’ Glue, rags very specifically made for music. I make this distinction because most self-made small rags on any topic are now called fanzines. Back then I was more inspired from the small books the Dadaists made.


Once I got into a band (and hung out with bands) I began to make posters, but altogether very few were made. I was not fond of press-type, as is witnessed by the examples I present here. And while I loved to cut from advertising, I didn’t relish creating it myself. When I did Bitchrock in San Francisco, I made ads as well as content for it, mostly for record stores and nightclubs, but I really just wanted to collage for its’ own sake, barely nudging into the graphic artist label.

So I feel really honored to be included in Thunderbitch, a show of female rock and roll poster designers from the Pacific Northwest, curated by Daniel Smith. The posters cover from 1966 to the present. I love the way the text in the site describes the various generations and how I am an "Actual Punk" because that's exactly how I think of it. And I am really touched that they included a photograph by Nicholas Hill from my days working at Singles Going Steady in Portland (one of the best jobs I ever had!). The show opens at Tether Design Gallery in Seattle this coming Thursday, the 5th. If you’re in Seattle then, please come by and say hello. A catalogue has also been made.

3 comments:

Virgina Bryant said...

good grief, is all this your work?
cool beans!

Opie said...

London in 1978, then Portland?

Singles Going Steady... there's a memory. I think that's where I got my Pell Mell EP, a Sub Pop single called Bob Was A Robot that I can't find now, Orange Juice singles, Romeo Void... so we probably exchanged a few words over the counter at one shop or other.

Sorry to say I missed the opening, and won't be anywhere near Seattle this year, so any future exchange will have to wait.

Eva said...

Opie, we must have met. I was the first employee of the Singles/TK Records empire... Romeo Void actually stayed at our house (Nicholas Hill's) back then, when they played Portland in 1981. You can see Orange Juice singles on the wall behind me in the current profile pic for this blog...