Friday, February 25, 2011

Anonymous Woman No. 14



In painting I do pattern. I like endlessness and the idea of an experience that seems uniform from corner to corner – and is not.

Some of that is just the reward for continuing to look in decorative facades, the lovely and dangerous marriage of surface and substance. It happened in painting and is now explored in Anonymous Women. She’s the wallpaper, she’s the d├ęcor. She’s also a little creepy because her blending in is never fully achieved, she’s too singular for that. Someone also suggested camouflage, just as animals use in the natural world. Yes, and I’d add that it’s camo like humans use in wartime too.

3 comments:

namastenancy said...

What a scary, surrealist and beautiful piece. I don't like it, I LOVE it and RESPECT it and feel that you've really made a statement in art about women. That's not an easy thing to do.

CAP said...

Do you like P&D stuff, generally?

Eva said...

CAP, what is P&D?