Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Beauties



My relationship with beauty was always complex, but I’m much more aware of it now. I’m on the inside and the outside at the same time. As a makeup artist I create the beauty, the polish, the shine and accompanying verbiage.


But with feet securely rooted in other worlds like the art world, I look from the outside. Age has something to do with it too. People like to pshaw that, but I never have. Age is a factor in the landscape, for the bad or for the best, the more of it you have. “It’s doesn’t matter,” some like to say, but those who say this generally don’t have a lot.


And even though I’ve worked in the beauty industry, I don’t have the malaise – or is it paranoia? – associated with aging. It’s a challenge, Baby, but it’s not a disease. Everything has its time. I see beauty in all the ages. Surface and substance are one; the complexities don’t scare me.

I feel like I am circling around some issues here without being able to nail it, but what I really wanted to get at was not just beauty in woman but also beauty in art. I always needed it and I still think it’s no easy thing to arrive at. Ideas can be cheap compared to fostering a platform of beauty. “It’s dangerous,” my art colleague told me - and I think she's right.
All of these are from my new Anonymous Women.


No comments: