Friday, March 4, 2011

The Conversation

It's not just the young who drift to new sites away from blogging, as stated in this Times piece. The further entrenched in Facebook I became, the less I wrote here. It's understandable that pictures of dogs and gardens would find their way to my circle of "friends." But I have also written much less about art and artists here and that was the reason I started Blogger to be begin with.

Part of it could be due to KBOO. When I started this blog, I didn't have Art Focus. The previous venture, Artstar radio at KPSU, was a much less public arena. Since I've been at KBOO I just don't feel as free to dish.

Even when I post about art here, it's amazing how little traffic is here compared to my Facebook. A lot of people had something to say about my latest interview with Bonnie Laing-Malcolmson about the Contemporary Northwest Art Awards. Not a word here. That's just one example. More and more this is the place for the official record, but the conversation happens elsewhere.

5 comments:

Andrea Schwartz-Feit said...

Where do you think web sites fit in this picture?
Personally I find facebook a great venue for some things-bragging in public, a little publicity, and connecting with friends via private messages. And of course finding people you last saw in 1968. It doesn't seem to me a great place for discourse. I think blogs are better for that just because they are focused. But one does, then , need to keep up, read, contemplate and join in.

Eva said...

Facebok is perhaps more chit-chat than "deep thoughts." You're right about that. But I had to write so much here to get the feedback going. The posts that received the most response took time and gut-spilling.... it was hard to maintain that on a weekly basis. But that's what it took for this blog to be truly interactive.

Stephan P Ferreira said...

Good points. I don't have a Facebook acct but see the value in it. It seems to me that we're at an interesting place with the Internet - Facebook has illuminated how important the "social" is in the "media". I think the next step combining them. Your likes and your friends likes right along side the article you're reading. It seems clunky that there still exists independently Facebook pages or a Twitter Page or a Blog where you post things you like and then those things in action exist elsewhere.

Eva said...

Hi Stephan, I think there are blogs who are filtering in their FB stuff with success. Maintaining the flow takes an immense amount of work and a certain amount of timing and luck. ....I know a few art bloggers who begrudgingly joined FB, swearing they wouldn't pay much attention to it. But they are working it more and more...

Andrea Schwartz-Feit said...

I have two additional thoughts on this subject. The first is that I admire you for working so hard in order to get a discussion going. As a blog reader, although I often have a thought I could enter into the discussion I rarely do. So perhaps reciprocity is a responsibility of an interested, invested reader.
The second is, like Stephan, I assume some mutation/evolution of the blog/twitter/facebook genres will occur in order that an interesting discussion can be maintained between readers. In fact, the reader/responder to a blog has a completely different role than a friend on facebook or follower on twitter. I find myself appreciating the blog format more and more. I actually read the blogs I subscribe to now. Look forward to them even. But it is a lot of work to maintain. It will be interesting to see what the evolution will be.