Thursday, April 21, 2011

Color Moves


Sonia Delaunay at Cooper Hewitt was the perfect show for me. She’s a crossover dream in more ways than one. I have a foot in paint and another in graphics. Not everyone is at ease with this. But she was like Let’s Go Dancing, yanking both feet.

While some of the paintings didn’t hold up that well, the textiles are unbeatable – they truly can compete with any quote-unquote serious painting. In fact right before I saw Delaunay, I saw Thorton Willis (below) at Elizabeth Harris. There’s a shared vitality and rawness - he of course is many generations away from DeStil, while she’s rubbing elbows with it. And of course she’s a monarch of Simultaneity, a favorite touchstone. The show is called Color Moves, in reference to her finesse at fluid color bending. I love that title, may have to steal it someday.








3 comments:

harold hollingsworth said...

Sonia is one of the biggest influences on my work, so wonderful to see you referencing her and highlighting the show!

namastenancy said...

Sonia is a goddess of the graphic art. I saw an exhibit years ago of her graphic textiles and some of her fashion designs. They could be worn today (IMNO). I think she was a much better artist than her husband as well.

Eva said...

Nancy,

It's interesting to see that progress has indeed been made, even though at times it doesn't feel like it. As a young woman reading 20th c art history, her husband was much more prominent in the books. But that has completely changed. His output really is insignificant compared to her exhaustive practice.