Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Don Voisine and Gilbert Hsiao


We’ve had this conversation before here. Some slag Facebook, but one thing it is giving me is a powerful introduction to a big network of a special breed: those who work towards a reductive view. Maybe there are other types of artists making their networks, but this one has really come to my attention. I’m meeting them from all over the world.

While on my way to the Don Voisine exhibition at McKenzie Fine Art (image above), I ran into the artist in the lobby. I recognize him through the network. I had previously received my first small dose of his excellence at a group show of abstraction at PNCA not that long ago called M5 which was curated by Jeff Jahn. Nice show bringing Minus Space and artists from the Pacific NW together; I stared at the jewel-like Voisine the longest (though to be fair I have seen Francis Celentano a lot and it’s always a joy). I knew if I had a chance, I would want to see many. The exhibition did not disappoint. He marries matt and shiny blacks in spare shapes, mostly crosses, with juicy color bands.

In the back room was a Gilbert Hsiao (see below), who I have worshipped from afar (yes, again on but not restricted to FB). His work positively vibrates. I was also lucky enough to meet Valerie McKenzie, who was very welcoming - and revealed that she was planning an op-ish, eyeball-seering exhibition which includes his work. (It’s called Sound and Vision and opens on the 23rd). My fun didn’t end then however. Gilbert Hsiao walked in as if on cue. A truly star-studded day.

PS: There’s a fine exhibition at OK Harris which includes a Voisine, celebrating the 75th anniversary of the American Abstract Artists.

PSS: Check out the gorgeous piece of Voisine plus an interview featured in Hyperallergic.




2 comments:

Amy SG said...

Were you at all disappointed when you saw a Hsiao in person for the first time? I admit I was when I saw them at Minus Space recently... In photographs they have such an intense vibration but I found that in person the materials distracted rather then intensified that experience. The paint is washy, the canvas is nappy, and the hard edge of the tape that was used is so in your face. I don't know... maybe it's just me.

Eva said...

Hi Amy,

Actually I wasn't disappointed, even though I am an artist who "earns her edges," as Steven Larose would say. I do acknowledge what you mean though as re: the tape. The perfect edge. Still I was very impressed at his calculation and sense of order. He's got it all figured out,not much left to chance. My stuff feels all woobly next to his!

Thanks for visiting and commenting!