Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fantasy vs. Reality

Coming back from Crow’s Shadow and Pendleton was one big crash into “reality.”

In another life, at least 2 boyfriends said I lived in a fantasy. I often wondered how they knew - and did they know how deep I was in? Well, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – fantasy beats reality, almost every single time. Putting reality into quotations like that reminds me of Malevich who said he was leaving “Dearly Beloved Reality” behind when he made the Black Square. But I digress…

All those 2 weeks went into creating proofs-to-print. Now that I am gone the master printer Frank Janzen will make the actual edition. I’ll post jpgs when that happens. I’m already looking forward to going back there, just to sign the things.

What has given me real pleasure since I‘ve been back is the preparation of the next show at the Independent, Randy Moe’s 1979. There’s much to say and I’m going to piece-meal it out here in this blog.

Above you see a portrait of Leonard MacKay (at least I think that was his last name – please correct me if I’m mistaken). Leonard was in a band with me -you can see a video of us here in 1980 – dressed all in white with the big puffy shirt. He was a blend of Mod and New Romantic, before that term or style had come to be. He was gorgeous and a great guitarist. You could never pin him down though. Now sadly I am an expert on the source of his behavior – addiction. He was quite clever about it though, as gorgeous men in their 20s can be. He went into hospitals, found scrubs and various uniforms, looked the part and stole the goods, whatever he needed. What was fantasy, what was reality, you couldn’t tell with him.

This was over 30 years ago. He’s no longer with us. This show, 1979, is full of interesting stories and characters.

No comments: