Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hodgkin at Gagosian

This is indeed a show to lust after, a reason to go to New York. I understand that the works take many years to make, occurring in layers of spontaneity vs. precision and time. When I first came across him he seemed like such a hidden marvel. I had never read about him. Sometimes that is the best way to reach something. No critics, no context, you find all about that later. This happened to me quite often my first few years in NYC, since I had no subscriptions to the art rags and this was long before the Internet. So I was naïve about many things, which meant NYC was one big discovery. Same with London when I saw the Dada and Surrealism Reviewed show at the Hayward. First time ever with a Hannah Höch or John Heartfield. That kind of introduction made certain artists feel personally mine.

No comments: