Sunday, November 13, 2011

Laurie Danial on KBOO

Listen to the interview here.

My next guest on Art Focus is Laurie Danial, who has a show at Froelick right now. The show is comprised of paintings and prints and is called Control Release Control. I think you can trace the origin of the name by just looking at the work. The paintings reveal a multitude of directions, thoughts, marks, meandering, some hard and some not and very much just letting go. You can feel the play but you also sense the anxiety. The paintings provide ongoing experience, new things to come across. They are generous and not necessarily "quiet" and for this, I'm grateful. She told me the other day that no one is painting like her right now, as if it might not be in trend. But I think there are artists showing in NYC these days who do travel similar ground, or similar processes. It’s a beautiful show.


No comments: