Thursday, November 17, 2011

The House of Moe

1979 by Randy Moe at the Independent brings my past out of the woodwork. Friends I haven’t seen in many years stop by. They tell the tales of some of the people in this show. For instance, Brian, above in the red, owns a record store in Vancouver, WA. Phil, in the shades, is unfortunately no longer with us.

Ed Casey, looking like a movie star above, is a filmmaker today in NYC. He was sweet enough to come to my opening of reCovered at frosch&portmann this past summer. His latest film, Voyeur, is at festivals right now.And of course Mike King, above, is a very well known graphic artist for the music world. When I knew him in 1979 he made posters – and he still does. I especially love this portrait, the black on black and the treatment of the clothes. What strikes me about the all the styling is how un-styled it was. It's thriftstore as opposed to Westwood, but even in the thrift, it's not like it screams a certain vintage. We all pulled stuff together and people gave us things too, dressed us. That is actually a major way Randy functioned at the time - we called him The House of Moe. He had some of the best gear.

4 comments:

Stephilius said...

Mike King used to be my brother-in-law. I didn't know him in 1979, but I can see both of his daughters - my nieces - in this portrait. Has he seen the show?

Eva said...

No, he has not seen the show. I wish he would!

CAP said...

More nostalgia? (1980)

Eva said...

Hey CAP, So nice to see you again! I am not a member of Art Forum, so I'll have to sign up to see what you are referring to. Can you give a hint..?