Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Don't Know Anything


The movers come in a few hours.

In one box are all the photographs (film and Polaroids) that I have taken since I lived here. As I packed the box I couldn't resist peeking into the envelope which held my first roll, 1997. It is full of pictures from the Gorge. Spooky isn't it? I shot my destiny, clueless about it all.

The roll also has the people in my life, a family in awkward new roles. It's amazing how well the camera captures our unease and insecurity. No one knew who they really were in those initial stages. We thought we knew but of course we didn't.

This time I am trying to be more mindful of the fact that I don't know anything. Even though I am from this state, have lived here most of my life. Mystery is not just a concept but at this point, a complete lifestyle, streaming into my windows.

No comments: