Friday, November 30, 2012

The Diaries 1969 - 2012

The central fact of my life is a diary, not visual art per se. Since 1969 I've kept a paper journal. 154 notebooks so far.

So I was very interested in the online discussion at the Times - Recording our Lives in 2012 ~ Will Diaries be Published in 2050.

A diary is not a memoir. It happens in real time. There's no edit. But of course there is reread and recount and reread and remorse and move on. But there's no true revision.

I'm 56. I think it's time I started to put it online (or publish in some other way), the original diary. Someone today remarked I just love diaries, they are so neat. There's nothing neat or sweet about mine. As with E. B. White, much of my writing was (and is) rubbish. But it is a document of my time, more constant than any other art form.

I'm not sure whether I will transform this URL to the diaries, or created something new. Probably something new. It will be entry by entry and hopefully I can scan all the covers. Wouldn't want to miss all the fashions, band posters and obsessions of the times. It will take years and names will be changed - save maybe those who are dead. Sadly there are quite a few of them.


5 comments:

CAP said...

Look forward to it.

Eva said...

Nice to see you again here CAP. If you had any ideas or input as to how I should present the diaries, I appreciate it.

CAP said...

Yeah all this captcha stuff on blogger these days puts me off comments - though I still read...

As for the diary online - I started to put down a few ideas, but it's a bit long for a comment. I'll email them to you.

Eva said...

Is there a better way to blog that allows comments without going through so many jumps and hoops? I got tired of robots here but don't like people having to sign in either....

CAP said...

Not that I know of. I’m not sure about Wordpress’s security arrangements. But Blogger have progressively tightened their security to avoid spam – but they now also limit the length of comments (following the lead on Facebook I suspect) and on Winkleman you can’t even include links in your comments!!! Blogger’s problem is that it’s now so tied in with Google that a security breach has huge consequences I think. Generally the web is just a lot less generous these days.

So although there are a number of Blogger sites I’ve followed for some time I mostly resist the temptation to comment because of the hassle of capcha. Even when you preview a comment you’ve then got to go through another hoop to publish. Life’s too short. Some sites now just encourage email responses and turn off comments altogether. I’ve still got two Blogger sites but they almost never attract comments, which is disappointing, but I can understand why readers might be put off.