Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Goods

Target No. 14

So glad to be back to Old New York.

Last night I met up with a family who were my neighbors when I first moved here, mid-1980s. They gave me shelter often and became my NYC family. I plunged into the working life with a vengeance and on someone's advice, began to study painting at the Art Students League of New York. I still collaged but hardly a soul knew it. Well, she's back.

My working life often involved the beautifying of the female, whether it was through paint or drapery. Over the years I became well aware of how the woman herself - me included - was merchandise. I was especially sensitive to it when I tried to get a leg up in the art world and was often placed back (gently or not so gently) into The Goods corner. The Target above touches on these issues. It was always one of my favorites and will show at VOLTA tomorrow.

No comments: